The NRHC hosts three major annual events which we invite volunteers to participate in.
- Ranch Day: Volunteers may interpret the structures, assist with activities, such as the Ranch Hand Experience and the Stick Horse Rodeo, greet visitors at the door, assist with lemonade sales or participate in period demonstrations.
- Heritage Halloween: Volunteers at this event can help with fall crafts, oversee activities such as hayrides and cakewalks, greet visitors or distribute period candy at one of the historic structures.
- Candlelight at the Ranch: Volunteers at this event can interpret one of the historic structures, assist with letters to Santa, sell cider and hot chocolate, greet visitors at the door or help guide visitors along the trail.
Summer Youth Classes
Every year the NRHC holds summer classes for children in grades K-5. Volunteers at this event assist the teachers with preparation for class, clean up activities and lessons as well as assist with registration and snack.
The NRHC accepts volunteers who wish to help with a specific department. Possible jobs include:
- Assisting the Education staff in development and delivery of programming.
- Assisting the Curatorial staff in cataloguing artifacts and books.
- Assisting with mailings and other general office needs.
The NRHC participates in a number of community programs each year including the Lubbock Arts Festival and the National Cowboy Symposium. Volunteers are needed to help promote the Center and its activities at these programs.
The NRHC hosts several children’s programs a year including quarterly corrals for the Junior Rough Riders, our children’s membership group. Volunteers help us to prepare and guide the children through fun and exciting learning activities.
Ranch Hosts help us bring the NRHC to life by allowing visitor to see what life would have been like for the people of the past. Members of this organization are dedicated volunteers who share their love and knowledge of history through period interpretation and demonstration. In addition to helping fill the opportunities above, Ranch Hosts may assist with outreach programs, tours and special requests.
There are many various volunteer opportunities at the NRHC! Contact us to find out how you can be involved.
Benefits of Volunteering at the NRHC
- Access to behind-the-scenes areas of the NRHC
- Quarterly Volunteer newsletter
- Access to special lectures and training
- Discount at Cogdell’s General Store
- A chance to share your knowledge and skills with others